February 11, 2021
Looking after your skin is essential for both health and beauty reasons. The skin is a living, breathing organ, after all, and it gets exposed to all kinds of elements, pollutants, and dangers each day. The least we can do is look after it correctly, and exfoliation is often recommended as one of the most essential parts of any skincare routine.
The skin is always regenerating, with old cells dying and fading away to be replaced by new cells each month. The body can get rid of most of those old dead cells on its own, but some of them stay in place, forming dry patches and clogging up your pores.
Exfoliation is essentially the process of getting rid of these dead skin cells and dirt from the surface layer of the skin, typically using some kind of product, like an exfoliating scrub, or a specialized tool, in order to keep the skin clean and healthy, offering an array of benefits in the process.
Now that you better understand the purposes of using an exfoliating scrub or cream, let's take a look at five of the best benefits of exfoliation, of which many people are unaware.
1. Unclogging Pores - As stated above, when dead skin cells linger on the face or body, they can clog up your pores. When pores get clogged, the body's natural oils start to build up beneath the surface, leading to the formation of imperfections like whiteheads and blackheads. Unclogging the pores with an exfoliating product or tool can help to prevent this from happening, leaving your skin looking much cleaner and clearer each day.
2. It Fights the Signs of Aging - Countless people try to combat the signs of aging in their skin, making use of moisturizing products and creams to help slow the formation of wrinkles and keep the skin looking youthful and vibrant. Exfoliating can help with this, too, as it can actually stimulate collagen production in the body. Collagen is a natural protein that helps keep the skin looking plump and tight.
3. Balancing Skin Tone - If you happen to have any dark spots, scars, hyperpigmentation patches, or other sections of skin that don't quite fit in with the rest of your face, you're not alone. A lot of people have imbalances in their skin tone and areas that seem a little darker or different from the rest. Regular exfoliation, however, can help to even out the skin tone, smoothing the texture of your skin, breaking away rough patches, and helping scars start to fade too.
4. Improves the Effectiveness of Other Products - One of the best and most overlooked advantages of exfoliation is how it can actually help in other areas of your skincare routine. Because exfoliation helps to unclog pores and clear away dirt and dead cells from the skin, there are fewer barriers for other products, like facial gels and creams, to penetrate deeper into the skin and work even more effectively than usual.
5. Treating Acne - Acne is something that many people of all ages have to suffer with, and it can be a real challenge to see new pimples appearing and not know how to stop them. Once again, exfoliation can assist here, but you have to be careful with it. Using products or tools that are too rough can do more harm than good, but a gentle exfoliant will help clear away dirt, grime, dead cells, and more as part of your skincare routine, reducing the risks of acne occurring.